Disability rights and support

The Equality Act 2010 protects disabled people. Employers, colleges, universities or learning providers: 

  • cannot treat you less favourably than others for any reason connected to your disability  

  • must make reasonable adjustments to make sure you're not seriously disadvantaged during your course

Do I have to tell my employer about my disability?

You don’t have to tell an employer or learning provider about a disability. But if you do tell them, they’ll be able to make reasonable adjustments for you at your interview, and if you get the job.

If you want support with reasonable adjustment or want to speak with someone about a disability, there are a few stages where you could do this:  

  • during the application process  

  • before the interview 

  • at the interview 

  • in the job


Disability Confident scheme for employers

Many employers have signed up to the Disability Confident government scheme. It encourages employers to recruit and retain disabled people and those with health conditions. 

If an employer has signed up to the scheme, it shows that they’re committed to supporting you in work if you’re disabled. 

Looking for an apprenticeship job with a Disability Confident employer? Use our vacancy search and check the box ‘Disability Confident employers’ to find the right role for you. 

Useful sources of disability support

Access to Work

Access to Work can help you get or stay in work if you have a physical or mental health condition or disability. 

LEAD Scotland 

LEAD Scotland provides free learning, befriending and helpline services across Scotland for disabled people and carers. 

Disability Information Scotland 

Find education, training and employment guides.

ARC Scotland 

ARC Scotland works alongside people who need additional support, and their families. This includes people with learning disabilities, autism, mental health difficulties, sensory or physical disabilities.  

SAAS Disabled Students' Allowance 

Money to support you while you study either full-time or part-time college and university courses.

ILF Scotland Transition Fund 

Get up to £1,500 towards learning or other activities if you're a disabled person between the age of 19 and 25.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) 

Students can claim ESA. It's a weekly payment if you have a disability or health condition that affects how much you can work.

Young Persons' free bus travel card 

If you're younger than 22 or disabled, you can get free bus travel across Scotland. Use this to get to and from your college, university or other training course.


Enable is a charity which strives to deliver an equal society for every citizen. They have many different roles, including: 

  • campaigning for disabled people’s rights 

  • working alongside people who face barriers to getting a job

Explore other topics in this section

Got any questions?

You can also check out our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) or get in touch with our team who will be happy to help.